Friday, May 15, 2009

Koko Crater: The Stair Master from HELL!

On the outskirts of Hawaii Kai, there is an old railroad track lined with greenery (depending on what time of year you go) with beautiful views of Waikiki in the distance and endless ocean... but did I mention these railroad tracks go STRAIGHT UP A MOUNTAIN?! 1,208-feet straight up to be exact! These railroad tracks, or "stairs", are an old World War II-era track system that used to transport military personnel and equipment up to the bunkers at the top of Koko Crater. Now days, the "stairs" are mostly used for exercise. It's not uncommon to start the hike and have people running by you, up and down the trail. I's pretty incredible actually.

My boyfriend and I have done this trail only about 5x so far, but can't wait to get back there more often this summer. It's about a 20 minute drive from where I live, so not too bad. I usually take my dog, Poki, with us so she may be in some of the picts on this blog. :)
____________________________________________________

This is a picture of the hike on our way to the beginning!



At the start of the "stairs" looking up...

A little over half-way up the mountain looking back down. The baseball fields in the background are the beginning of the "stairs".

Picture taken at the same spot as the one above, but looking up towards the top. That isn't even the end of the hike... you can't see the top from this angle.

Almost to the very top looking back.

Finally at the top and looking on the other side of the mountain. The weather was really bad and all that rain in the picture hit us as we worked our way back down.

The side of the mountain that we just climbed... sunny and hot!

Can you believe that some people actually hike this ridge?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful hike. How long does it take? Next time I am in Hawaii, this is on my to-do list. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MAJL,

    The first time it took me about 45 minutes to get to the top but that's because I got so winded I thought I was going to pass out. Now we can do it in less than 30 minutes going up. Coming down is a lot quicker, about 15 minutes or so. But staying at the top and checking out the scenery is the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got tired just looking at the pics, haha! I'm never doing that hike...or any hike, for that matter :P

    ReplyDelete